CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

June 8, 2008

Memorial Day

On Memorial Day this year we attended The Aaron Johnson Family Reunion in Mapelton.

Aaron Johnson was Kelly's Great Great Grandfather. Aaron's father was Aaron Johnson Sr. He was a polygamist who had 12 wives and 56 children. (I can't even fathom that.) Luckily it was just the reunion of Aaron Johnson, Kelly's Great Great Grandfather. I can not even imagine the amount of people that would have been there had it been the decedents of Aaron Johnson Sr.


It was fun. Some of the family told stories about his family and the hardships they faced as they were trying to settle here in Utah. It was so interesting to hear, and yet so sad. Just knowing that as they traveled and lost children and had to bury them and carry on, breaks my heart. They were much stronger people than I know I am.


There was good food and the best part was the face painting for the kids. They hired a lady from Highland who does face painting. She painted Landon's face like an elephant, and Carter's like a dalmatian. I loved it, they looked so cute. They weren't quite sure what to think about it, especially as she was doing it.


After we left the reunion we went over to put some flowers on Kelly's mother's grave. We don't get over there near enough. Kelly's allergies are so bad, and so going there with all the flowers makes it tough for him. Luckily enough for us, it had been raining, so there wasn't as much pollen in the air, and he did surprisingly well.
I am so thankful for our ancestors and all that they did for us. Without their sacrifices and achievements I can't imagine what times would be like today. I am also so thankful for Kelly's mother and the outstanding example she was. Of all the things I know about her, the thing that I will always remember is her love for the gospel. She was so Christ like, and lived her life with the purpose of returning to our Heavenly Father. Thank you for the example you were to your family, and the example you continue to be to ours. We love you.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Ok, so I'm sitting here crying while I read what you wrote about Kelly's mom. It's so sweet & I'm a big cry baby!!