CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

February 14, 2008

A night with no power

Well last night we had quite the experience...

It all started yesterday afternoon. It started to snow and the winds were really blowing hard. We couldn't even see out any of our windows because they were completely covered in ice and snow. So the boys and I decided to watch a movie and shortly after we started it, the power went out. I didn't think anything of it, because it came right back on after a minute or two. Well then about 5 minutes or so after that, it went off again. I was a little frustrated because we had to restart the movie again, but still no big deal.

Well, it happened again, and again, and again, until finally the power went off and stayed off. I think it was around 5:30 pm when it went off for the last time. I figured it would just come back on again in a few minutes, and really didn't think much of it. Well about an hour passed and it was starting to get pretty dark, so I went around and gathered some candles and a couple of lanters that use liquid parafan, just in case.

Well, I am so grateful that I did that, because the power still wasn't on at 7:00 and it was dark. By this time the boys and I were starving and Kelly hadn't even left work yet. So luckily I had the brilliant idea to light our gas range with a lighter and I made a warm meal of Macaroni & Cheese for us to eat. Our house was getting a little cool, and I thought that might help warm us up. While I was cooking the boys had pulled a couple of baskets I had on a table in the kitchen and were climbing in and out of them. At least they were having some fun and keeping their selves entertained. Derek even came over and heated up some bottles on the stove top for Ian. What a blessing it was to have that gas range.




Kelly finally left work at 7:25 and knew that he was in for a long drive home. My phone was almost dead and so Shelley let me borrow hers so that I could stay in touch with Kelly as he was driving home.

At this point the boys were beyond ready for bed. The problem with putting them to bed was that Carter had been sick and throwing up all day. So all of his bedding was in the washer, and seems as how we had no power I had no way of drying it. So I decided to lay them both down in Landon's bed. Carter wasn't too excited about it at first, but settled down and fell asleep. Well after about 30 minutes, I was sitting in the kitchen and heard Carter start to wimper and then all of a sudden barf. It was everywhere! I couldn't believe it.

Needless to say, now neither of their cribs had any bedding. So at that point after cleaning up everything the best I could, I decided to lay them down in my bed and lay with them. After getting all their wiggles out they finally calmed down and fell asleep.

Kelly made it home last night at 10:50 pm. I was so happy to see him walk through the door. He came in and helped me get the rest of the house situated, because at this point the power was still off. He made himself a quesadilla on the stove top, because he refused to eat Mac N Cheese and then we went to bed in our bed with the boys. The boys slept pretty well, but Kelly and I didn't. I have no clue what time the power came back on, but I know it did sometime in the night.

I am so happy that last night is over and we have power. I totally take it for granted every day, and know now that I need to do a lot more to prepare for a night like that one. Because heaven knows there'll certainly be another one.

5 comments:

Marty and Emily said...

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!!! Ok, I can't handle Brynn throwing up, and that is with ONE baby and the POWER ON. You are absolutely my hero. Ya know, I don't think the power has ever gone off the whole time I've been in Arizona. Hm. Isn't that interesting. Hm. I sure do love AZ. Hm. :) :) :)

Shelley said...

Well, ya know. . .I did offer some bedding, but you wouldn't take it!!! We always know we can go over to Kim's because she has everything!! (A Kerosene Heater). At least we know we won't freeze, starve, or be bored living next to one another!

Josh, Abbie, Tienna and Kiara said...

What an adventure!! I can just picture you keeping the boys busy and entertained with no power .... what can I say other than you're amazing?! We hope things are going well for your little family!

miller family said...

i'm so sorry!! what an ordeal:)
you should have came over.

Jason and Tawni said...

Ok seriously you deserve the mother of the year award. I don't know how you managed to have a power outage and still cook and entertain your boys. I don't cook when the power is on and I have a hard time entertaining myself! I am certainly glad that Kelly made it home from work ok. That weather sounded and looked insane and I am sorry that you had to brave through it without your hubby but atleast you had the boys to keep you company!