CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

January 6, 2009

Mom Update

Well, my Mom is still in the hospital, and I am really frustrated. It seems that for the last week they've been treating her for the wrong thing. She still has the ulcer in her colon, but apparently there is something else wrong in addition to it. Which makes perfect sense, because she's not getting better. Today they are finally doing some more tests on her. A scope and something else (possibly a second scope, no one has been able to confirm that for me). I hope that they can get it figured out soon. She looks a little better than she did when she was first admitted to the hospital a week ago, but really hasn't improved much. They're having a hard time keeping her headache under control, and she still has a lot of pain in her stomach.

It's been so hard to see her in this condition. It takes her about 15 minutes just to sit up in her bed and swing her legs off the side to try and stand up. She is so weak she can barely walk and when she does it's not far. Only 10 - 15 steps at the most. I never thought that I would see my Mom in this condition so early. She's only 47 years old, and is in good health otherwise. She's not overweight, she eats healthy, she takes care of herself, and exercises.

I hope that with these tests today they'll be able to figure out what's really wrong with her, and start treating her. I know that it may not happen, but I am hoping and praying that they'll at least find something, so we can have some more answers.

It's also made me think about my family, and what if something like this happened to us. What would we do? I know one thing for sure. I need to start eating and feeding my family healthier meals, and we need to exercise more. It wouldn't hurt Kelly and I both to loose a few pounds either. I guess that I've always known this, but watching my Mom go through it really makes it reality for me. It's horrible that it takes something like this to really open my eyes, but as horrible as it may sound, I'm grateful that it has. I hope that I'll be able to make some changes within my own family so that we can hopefully avoid poor health in the future.

1 comment:

Marty and Emily said...

Awe Hum, I hope the dr.s get everything figured out. I think it would make me crazy just to not know. I'm so sorry about that experience. You're a good person too, a lot of times I'm too stinkin prideful to admit I learned anything. Marty and I have made a huge push to eat healthy this year. We had some good habits going, but when I stopped throwing up I was like, "Oh yeah, I going to eat WHATEVER I want and ENJOY it!" Unfortunately, I give all the junk food to Marty, too, only he's not supposed to gain 20-30 lbs like I am. :) Anyway, myself, a friend, and my sister-in-law are starting a healthy foods and recipes blog. If you are interested, I'll give you all the info on it. Again, I'm so sorry you are going through this. Let me know if there is anything the Johnsons can do from the desert (and yes, we still pray for her every night). (this was a novel, I know, I am long-winded)