CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

April 18, 2009

Salt Lake City 5K

Today was a day to put into the history books. I attempted my very first 5K and actually succeeded in doing so. Shelley and I left home at 6:15 in the morning and headed up to Gateway where we boarded a Trax train and rode over to the courthouse. We got off there and walked to the City and County Building where the race started. The course went down to 900 South, west about a block to State Street, back up north to South Temple, across South Temple to the Rio Grande, down to 100 South, and then over to Rio Grande St., and then up to the finish line at the fountains at the Gateway. I finished in 47 minutes and 8 seconds. Not too bad considering it was my first one ever, I'm pregnant, have bad knees, and did absolutely nothing to prepare myself for it. I just showed up and did it, and must say that I am proud of myself. And furthermore, if you've never done anything like this, the feeling you get when you cross the finish line is overwhelming. I almost cried. I was so happy and proud of Shelley and myself. Hearing hundreds of people cheering as your approaching the finish line gave me so much adreneline that I thought for a second I would trip and fall. I pushed myself to run the last quarter mile to the finish line and it was worth it. I can now understand why so many people enjoy doing these and I hope that I'll have another opportunity to do it again.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Oh you will have the opportunity if I have anything to say about it.

Amy said...

You two are AMAZING!!!!

Marty and Emily said...

Hum!! I'm so proud! I have never done a 5k before. Personally, I believe running is for thieves. :) But good for you! Maybe SOMEday I'll experience the rush or crossing a finish line....naw, probably not....